President Donald Trump defended his decision Wednesday to curtail joint military exercises with South Korea, characterizing the longstanding war games as insulting to North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, despite mounting evidence that Pyongyang continues to aid American adversaries across the globe.

The Department of Defense confirmed that ongoing military exercises, originally scheduled to conclude August 27, will now end Friday, cutting short the training by nearly a week. The decision comes as North Korea maintains its ballistic missile testing program and reportedly provides military assistance to both Iran and Russia.

Trump indicated he will meet with the North Korean dictator later this year, though he declined to confirm whether the two leaders have been exchanging correspondence. The president suggested earlier this week that he and Kim had been in communication following his order to scale back the exercises.

North Korea’s response to the gesture proved dismissive. Kim Yo Jong, sister of the supreme leader and a key regime spokesperson, issued a statement through state media declaring the shortened exercises remain “provocative” and change nothing in bilateral relations.

“We think it’s not worth making comments on that and we have no interest in it at all,” she stated. “The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won’t change even though their duration and size were reduced.”

The president’s decision raises strategic questions as intelligence assessments indicate North Korea continues supporting American adversaries. The regime is widely believed to be supplying arms to Iran and has reportedly deployed troops to support Russia’s ongoing war in Ukraine.

When pressed by reporters about pursuing denuclearization after apparently acknowledging North Korea possesses fifty-seven nuclear weapons, Trump deflected. “Well, I don’t want to talk about that. But I do have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un,” he said.

The president emphasized his unique diplomatic rapport with the North Korean leader, contrasting his approach with previous administrations. “He likes me, and I like him. I just got along with him very good,” Trump stated. “We had great meetings. We speak, and I think our nation and other nations, frankly, whether it’s Japan or South Korea, they’re a lot safer if I’m president than if somebody else is president.”

Trump met with Kim three times during his first term, including two formal summits, though those encounters failed to produce any substantive agreement on denuclearization.

The president expressed particular dissatisfaction with the military exercises in light of his personal diplomacy. “Now, I didn’t like the fact that we’re doing these massive military exercises really against North Korea,” he said, before criticizing South Korea for not contributing to American operations against Iran. “I felt that to do a massive war exercise, I thought that was very insulting to somebody that, frankly, has been, during my term at least, very well-behaved.”

The characterization of North Korea as “well-behaved” stands in contrast to recent actions. The regime has conducted several ballistic missile tests this year, including two launches in August immediately preceding the joint exercises. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and Japan’s Defense Ministry detected the most recent launch last Wednesday.

The decision to curtail military readiness exercises with a treaty ally while North Korea expands its nuclear arsenal and supports hostile powers represents a significant shift in American security policy in the Pacific region. Whether this approach yields diplomatic progress or emboldens further North Korean provocations remains to be seen.

And that is the situation as it stands this evening.

Related: Ukraine Launches Massive Drone Assault on Moscow as War Escalates